22 April 2010
Anglo American plc Interim Management Statement Production Report for the first quarter ended 31 March 2010
Anglo American plc Interim management statement production Report for the first quarter ended 31 March 2010.
- Iron ore production increased by 23% to 12.3 million tonnes as Sishen’s jig plant continues to ramp up to full production
- Platinum refined production increased by 11% to 447,000 ounces, on track to meet full year target of 2.5 million ounces, with upside flexibility to meet market demand
- Unit costs on track to remain flat vs. 2009
- Further labour productivity increase; improved by 17% since Q1 2009
- Copper production increased by 7% to 161,000 tonnes, due to higher grades and recoveries at Los Bronces and higher grades and throughput at Collahuasi
- Nickel(1) production increased by 7% to 4,800 tonnes
- Metallurgical coal production increased by 32% to 3.6 million tonnes
- Thermal coal production decreased by 2% to 19.2 million tonnes
- Diamond production increased to 7 million carats to meet strengthening market demand
- Major divestment programme progressing well
- Zinc sale process well advanced and highly competitive
- Tarmac Polish Concrete Products sale completed and Tarmac European Aggregates sale agreed, for an aggregate consideration of approximately $400 million
- Anglo Platinum and De Beers rights issues successfully completed, supported by Anglo American. Strong demand for $1.7 billion Anglo Platinum rights issue, with minority shareholders over-subscribing by almost 3 times.
Results for the half year to 30 June 2010 will be announced on 30 July 2010.
This report forms Anglo American plc’s Interim Management Statement for the purpose of the UK Listing Authority’s Disclosure and Transparency Rules.
(1) Nickel production from the Nickel Business Unit.
View full PDF of this press release (63 Kb, link opens in a new window)
Forward looking statements:
This Interim Management Statement contains certain forward looking statements which involve risk and uncertainty because they relate to events and depend on circumstances that occur in the future. There are a number of factors that could cause actual results or developments to differ materially from those expressed or implied by these forward looking statements.
James Wyatt-Tilby, Media Relations
Tel: +44 (0)20 7968 8759
Caroline Metcalfe, Investor Relations
Tel: +44 (0)20 7968 2192
Leisha Wemyss, Investor Relations
Tel: +44 (0)20 7968 8607
Anna Mulholland, Investor Relations
Tel: +27 (0)11 638 2079
Pranill Ramchander, Media Relations
Tel: +27 (0)11 638 2592
Notes to Editors:
Anglo American plc is one of the world’s
largest mining companies, is headquartered in the UK and listed on
the London and Johannesburg stock exchanges. Its portfolio of
mining businesses spans precious metals and minerals – in
which it is a global leader in both platinum and diamonds; base
metals – copper and nickel; and bulk commodities – iron
ore, metallurgical coal and thermal coal. Anglo American is
committed to the highest standards of safety and responsibility
across all its businesses and geographies and to making a
sustainable difference in the development of the communities around
its operations. The company’s mining operations and extensive
pipeline of growth projects are located in southern Africa, South
America, Australia, North America and Asia.
Back to top
Most computers will open PDF documents automatically, but you may need to download Adobe Reader.